Solicitation F.A.Q.

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do I need a permit to distribute handbills/flyers?

Yes. Effective June 1, 2006 Ordinance No. 3544 (Solicitation Ordinance) now includes the requirement to obtain a permit to distribute handbills, flyers or other advertisement.

What is the fee for a solicitors or handbill distribution permit?

Permits fees are a $35 non-refundable application fee plus $10 per person. We accept check or cash, exact change only.  Approved applicants will receive a permit card that must be displayed at all times during the solicitation.

What are the requirements for distributing handbills, flyers or other advertisement?

Handbills, flyers or other advertisement may be distributed in a residential area by attaching them securely to the door of the residence with a rubberband only. Attaching with tape or other methods is not permitted.

Please Note: the name of the commercial handbill distributor or sponsor must be clearly printed on each handbill or other advertisement that is distributed.

Does a “No Solicitors” sign pertain to handbill/flyer distribution?

Yes. Handbills, flyers or other advertisement may not be placed in any instance at a residence where a "No Solicitors" sign is posted.

Can I put flyers on cars parked in a shopping center/mall/street?

No. Handbills may not be attached or placed on any motor vehicle on private or public property.

I have a permit from last year. Can I still use that one?

Permits issued prior to June 1, 2006 are valid for one year from date of issue. Permits issued effective June 1, 2006 will be valid for a period of 180 days (or 6 months) from date of issue.

I lost my permit card. Can I get another one?

Yes. The fee for a replacement permit card is $10.

My company has a current permit. Can I add another person to it?

Yes. The fee for each additional person is $10.

I'm taking orders for a school fundraiser/selling Girl Scout cookies/Boy Scout greenery, etc. Do I need a permit?

Yes. A permit is required for all door-to-door solicitation. Fees are not applicable to schools or charitable organizations.

Can I report an ordinance violation of solicitation?

            Yes, If you wish to file a complaint regarding unwanted solicitation violations please click here.

Can I sell merchandise such as t-shirts or rugs from the vacant lot at the corner of Belt Line and Glenville?

No. This is a zoning issue and information concerning code enforcement can be obtained from Building Inspection at 972-744-4180.